Sunday, November 18, 2012

Word of the day: Turbulent

Recently, I have spent some days off back home with the parents. My dad had lectured me, which I do not really fancy, regarding my writings consist of the word "Turbulent" in describing the world of business for various time. Oh yes, don't be too surprise my dad does constantly read & give comments on my proficiency in English as he is very concern about the language power of his children ever since we were young kids. He doesn't agree the word "turbulent" is the appropriate word to describe the business world & he personally thinks that substituting it with the world "dynamic" would be almost close to perfect. I did not have any fight-back with him though rather than accept his words in a humble manner for I know his intention was just want to help me out. I bet not many parents out there still be as concern as my daddy when their children have reach the young adult stage. I should be thankful instead. 




However, I would still like to like explain the reason why would I like to the word "turbulent" to describe the world of business.


Turbulencetur·bu·lence / `tɜrbjələns / noun
defines: sudden changes affecting performance

Explanation
unpredictable and swift changes in an organization's external or internal environments, or in an economy, that affect its performance. 

The late 20th century was considered a turbulent environment for business because of the rapid growth in technology and globalization, and the frequency of restructuring and merger activity. 

2008 was an especially turbulent period for financial markets, when banks worldwide could not meet their loans and had to receive government support.

Kevin's Take:
You see, the business world today is no longer the same as how it used to be. It is indeed volatile & turbulent. Global economy crisis is the visible projection of how turbulent of the business world is today. Trillion of dollars could vanished in a snap-of-a-finger by the global economy leader if without proper financial knowledge in handling those monies. 

Anyway, despite of the lecture, I still miss spending time with both my daddy & mummy. 

I will definitely spend more time with them in 2013.


2 comments: